Lacrosse season is upon us! And you know what that means... Money, money, money!!!!! YAY! I reffed my first game of the season with Alta vs. Park City high school girls and loved every second of it. Here is a list of just a few reasons of why this is probably the all-time best part time job ever:
1. It pays $48 per game! And usually you do two games in one night.. 96 dollars in two hours!!
2. It's great exercise - I don't need to re-exercise for the day when I get home.
3. I can choose the days I want to ref.
-If I have a big test coming up, I can decline the game offered to me so I can stay home and study. Or, likewise, if I know I have a big shopping spree coming up I can do just the opposite and work, work, work! :)
4. It only lasts a maximum of two hours at a time - I can't possibly die of boredom.
5. I love working with high school girls.
-They are so much fun to be around and joke with. I really love these girls. I feel like such a dork but sometimes I will even get all teary-eyed when I hear a girl give a team mate a word of encouragement or seeing them get so excited for each other after a made goal. There is an innocence and sweetness about girls at this stage in their lives, just trying to figure themselves out and get through life any way they can.. and try to have some fun while doing it. I LOVE these girls.
6. I never need to worry about fans, players, or coaches being rude to me.
- In most sports, referees get all the crap. No matter what they do or say, they are wrong. In lacrosse, however, referees are respected in the highest regards. If I hear a fan shouting out negative comments, I can give them a warning and "card them" which means the team they are rooting for gets a penalty and the other team automatically gets the ball. That is the same procedure if a girl talks back to me on the field or even if she cusses. Everyone is always very respectful and willing to help.
-ALSO, since lacrosse is a fairly new sport, especially in Utah, many people don't know the actual rules. So when I make a call, most people don't question it since they don't know the rules anyway!
7. Taxes aren't taken out so everything I buy for the job is tax deductible.
-Including... my super cute new black Nike running pants and future black running shoes. I'm so excited!
8. Lacrosse just plain rocks anyway. It's like I get paid to be entertained and call things I want to call.
Well, for all these reasons and more, I love being a referee for high school girl's lacrosse. :)
8 comments:
You forgot that you look really cute in a reffing outfit. :D You seriously make so much money reffing. I'm jealous. You're really lucky you had that crush on Cory Gunderson in 9th grade so you could have this wonderful sport in your life. I love you!
Nancy,
I knew you still LOVE lacrosse!!! I remember when we moved here from California. You wanted to join lacrosse for Jordan High School. I gave you 100 precent support. I remember you had practice with bad weather include snow and windy. You got in my car and I turned heater up to warm you. Also you had two state championships. I am so poud of you.
I am amazing you still are ref for the lacrosse games and love to work with the girls.
You have a good example on your resume for future dental hygiene job. It will impress a future dentist. Smile.
I love you very much.
hey nancy! how did you get into doing this!? I want to do it too!! :-D
I'm so glad you updated your blog!! Aren't they fun?! I wish I made $96 in one night, that's like my entire paycheck pretty much...I wish I could do it
Hey!!! Nancy. Congratulations on becoming an Aunt!!! Actually it was quite painless. I enjoyed reading this message on your blog and would love to come and watch you "ref" at one of your games and see how "cute" you are in your "ref" clothes. Please keep in touch and let me know. Much love from Grandma Roush
I love reading your updates. Is always very informative. I will be coming to town May 2nd-5th. Will you be reffing that weekend on Saturday? If so, I'll come by and watch. I love you too.
Dad
Haha I'm flattered that you'd all like to come watch me ref, though I can't promise it'll be too entertaining. :) Why don't you come over to my apartment for dinner instead. I can still wear my "cute" reffing outfit if you really want! :) love you all!
Time flies and soon it's winter...and are you still planning to be refereeing next Spring? I remember watching you in the games and watching you score the goals while in high school and seeing you make it to the championship series. Now you're in dental hygiene school and doing great. Thanks for being the who you are. Dad
Post a Comment