
Last week we had a really sad experience.
I was at my apartment working on homework around 8:00 at night when I got a text message from my mom that Molly and Cosmo were missing.
Molly is my mom's sweet papillon pup she got about a year ago. Cosmo, who is also a little papillon pup, is mine and Jonathon's baby. Jonathon gave him to me as a Christmas present last year- he was the greatest Christmas present I could ever imagine! And he means the world to us.
So when I got the text, my heart dropped. Because my mom is deaf, I thought maybe she just couldn't hear them and they were stuck in a room somewhere or something. I texted her back and asked if she was sure and she replied that she had found a hole under the fence in the backyard that they must have dug and escaped.
I called Jonathon out of class and he came and picked me up and we hurried over towards my mom's house in Sandy. When we were driving up the busy connecting street near her house when we spotted a little white ball on the side of the road. It was dark so we turned around to make sure and I started bawling when I got out of the car and discovered that sure enough it was Molly. She had been hit by a car.
I couldn't believe it. I couldn't breathe. All I could do was cry. I ran up to the house that she was in front of, the owners were some good friends of ours I grew up with from the ward. I didn't know what to do I just wanted help. Jonathon got out of the car at that point and wrapped his arms around me. Our next thought then was that we needed to somehow break this terrible news to my Mom and search for Cosmo and hope that he had not had the same fate.
We went to my Mom's house and told her we had found Molly and she'd been hit. I found out that I am a terrible person when it comes to a stressful situation and probably should not have been the one to tell her. She was very upset and when we walked down to where Molly was she just cried and couldn't believe it.
Molly had been hit, but seeing her laying there you would have never known. She looked so peaceful- like she was sleeping. My mom carried her and we walked home quietly together. Pretty soon after, my brother Steven arrived. My uncle Eric and Grandma Richards (my mother's mom) came to support her as well.
Finally what seemed like hours later we got a phone call on Jonathon's phone. A lady called and asked him "Are you the owner of a little dog named Cosmo?" And his reply was simply "Is he alive?" She laughed and said, "Of course! He broke into my backyard and was trying to play with my big dog. Can you come get him?"
Molly was a very sweet dog. She was so loving and happy and cute. She loved to love people and give kisses. Her and Cosmo were best friends. Together they had just had a batch of puppies last November and created the four sweetest little puppies I've ever seen. I'm so glad a little piece of her was left to carry on that way.
It made me and Jonathon appreciate having Cosmo in our life too. We love him so much. We've always loved him with everything in us but we don't want to ever let him out of our sight again! That so easily could have been Cosmo on the side of the road. He is so much a part of our family. Anyone who has that type of special relationship with their dog knows what I'm talking about.
Thanks to everyone who was so helpful and supportive for my Mom during this time. It's greatly appreciated and makes such a positive difference. Though it's tough losing that little piece of her life, she is doing well and the statement 'time heals all things' is proving itself true.
Here are a few pictures of them:

Molly playing outside
Little Cosmo Junior (C.J. behind her)
Little Cosmo Junior (C.J. behind her)

Molly playing with her pups

Cosmo and Molly lounging in bed

Cosmo out in the snow - his most recent photo
3 comments:
This was a sweet post. You explained it way better than I could. I wish I could've had a link from my blog to yours so people could read it. I'm glad Mom is getting better. Molly was a cute little dog and even though I wasn't around her much, I miss her. I have a cute picture of her and me from christmas... too bad she's wearing her diaper. lol. Love you and glad you're posting!
We love the pictures! The puppies are so cute!! That's sad what happened to Molly, it makes you really appreciate Cosmo-or Daisy for us.
I have already "posted" but it must have been on facebook so you can look at it on there. I am just getting the hang of all of this. LOve, Grandma
Post a Comment