Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tunnel Falls

I'd never gone REAL camping before (I don't think Young Women's Camps count..) so I was so excited when we planned to hike/backpack up to Tunnel Falls near Eagle Creek in Oregon with Jonathon's family.

Jonathon couldn't come because he had to study and take a test to get his insurance license. :( We missed him! So Friday after I finished work at the Gillespies office, we were on our way to THIS:
Cool, huh??!

The trip had a great start on the car ride there with THIS:
Annie being a toothbrush
Nancy being.. I'm not quite sure what that is.
We also played "Find Dind" and the ABC game while stuck in traffic!

And I laughed so hard I cried
And Annie had a hairy eye
Before we started our big trek-
We had Bob, Susie, Robby, Nancy, and Annie to grace the mountain's presence that day.
(And those backpacks are WAY HEAVIER than they look!! I had bruises on my hips and shoulders for DAYS after!)

Happily hiking!
Mine and Annie's tent.
This is where we made up "Who sings songs about herself? Nancy does!" Repeat once.
We found shadows from a tree of a "Y'all don't know me!" girl.
And "Annie, who am I? " -Nancy
"Cosmo" -Annie
"Who am I? 'DYKE' (said in a deep voice)" -Annie
It was Josie, of course.
Hahaha! We laughed a lot this trip. And I love my little sister. :)
Demonstrating my dry shampoo in the morning- looking like a lioness
(Love this stuff!)
Bob being a good camper and starting up the fire
I took this picture to show just how STEEP the hike was if we were to fall down.. scary!
Me in front of Tunnel Falls!
Robby in front of Tunnel Falls! That little hole behind him is the reason for the name. It was really cool!
Inside the tunnel- the waterfall is to the right of me
Cute Susie in the tunnel. I thought her whole hiking outfit was just cute.
I think I need to invest in hiking boots someday.

Me and Annie in front of another waterfall on our way back down
We made it!
It was 7 miles up to the falls. We went about 5 1/2 the first night and camped.
The second day we hiked the rest then the 7 miles back down.

We had "one miracle" (We saw 17 Miracles the week before about the Pioneer trek so we kept relating our trip to them). It was starting to get pretty dark and we still hadn't found a place to camp. We FINALLY found a place at last minute as the sun went down. The next morning we realized we'd found the very last campsite before a really narrow scary part we would have had to do in the dark. It was our "one miracle."

It was a lot of fun and I'm excited for me and Jonno to do more of this in the future.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

How fun! I wish our family went camping more. We always just talked. The best memories are made when you're camping!